Study Questions For The Loves Of The Poets:
a. Think of these poems as fiction.
b. In considering the following questions try to think inclusively of the poems as a single group, not specifically as the works of individual authors.
1. What do these poems have in common?
2. As a group, what are the poets' beloveds like?
3. As a group, how do the poets represent themselves in the poems? What are these lovers like?
4. Generally speaking, how would you describe the love of the poets? What do they understand as "love"?
Then more specifically:
5. Thinking not about what the poets say but about how they say it, what distinguishes each poet stylistically from the others?