Week 3: Myth as Story Telling I:
read the above books in detail; also read book-by-book summaries of the other books
Iliad study questions:
1. Which gods are on which side? Why do they choose the side they choose?
2. What are the gods like as we see them in the Iliad?
3. What is the place of the gods in the world represented in the Iliad? (i.e. the world as seen by Achilles, Agamemnon et al.)
4. What is the role of the gods in the Iliad (the poem created by Homer)?
5. The heroes (Achilleus, Agamemnon, etc.) are not like ordinary men. What makes them “the stuff of legend,” or at least part of the realm of myth?
6. What are the similarities and what are the differences between the heroes like Achilleus, Agamemnon, etc. and the gods?
7. Does the engagement of the gods increase or diminish the stature of the heroes in the Iliad?